Monday, July 26, 2010

Mad Men S4E1 Best Quotes ("Public Relations") (Season 4 Episode 1)

Mad Men is back...  one of the most creative and most visually realistic shows on television.  After finally watching episode 1 ("Public Relations") of this season on AMC, a few things stood out- Lipitor loves the Mad Men target audience (or at least thinks they do- I wonder what Don would think of their advertising).  And for some reason, on my television every Lipitor commercial was about 12 times louder than the actual show...  Stop yelling at me, Pfizer.  But on to the best quotes of the episode, with my general thoughts at the end:




Roger:
  • Roger: My uncle lost his leg, hitching a trailer. He used to ask me to scratch his toes. He didn't have any.
  • Roger: I love how they sit there like a couple of choir boys. You know one of them's leaving New York with VD.
  • Roger: A wooden leg... They're so cheap they can't even afford a whole reporter
  • Roger: If you hit it off, come turkey day maybe you can stuff her.
  • Roger: You turned all the sizzle from Glo-Coat into a wet fart. Plus, you sound like a prick.
  • Roger: I was thinking about that... Who is he to criticize anybody? (about the reporter with the wooden leg)
 
Don's Lawyer:
  • Don's Lawyer: So how are your balls? You enjoying yourself?

Multiple Characters:
  • Don: Do you want women who want bikinis to buy your two piece? Or do you just wanna make sure women who want a two piece don't suddenly buy a bikini?
    Jim: My Lord. That question just tied a knot in my brain.
  • Henry: Don, it's temporary.
    Don: Believe me Henry, everybody thinks this is temporary
  • Jantzen Client: I'm getting tired of having to say this today.
    Don: Next time just have one meeting.
  • Pete: A circle of chairs demands a conversation.
    Don: A conversation about why there is no table.
  • Pete: We're the scrappy upstart.
    Don: You don't say that to clients, do you?
  • Don: Let me walk you in.
    Bethany: No, I know that trick
  • Don: Whatt'ya need?
    Roger: Someone white to carve our turkey.

Henry's Mom:
  • Henry's Mom: Honestly Henry, I don't know how you can stand living in that man's dirt.
 
Don:

  • Don: Well gentlemen you were wondering what a creative agency looks like? There you have it. Hope you enjoyed looking in the window.  (I loved the way he kicked them out after that)
  • Don: I could die of boredom, or holster up my guns. So I walked into Lane Pryce's office and said 'Fire us.'"
  • Don: I've learned a valuable lesson. Stay away from one-legged reporters.
  • Don: Do you want to be comfortable and dead, or risky and possibly rich?
 
Pete:

  • Pete:  Creatively Y&R isn't capable of living in this neighborhood.  You know why?  Because you don't work there.
  • Pete:  Two of the test markets are in Jewish neighboorhoods- they're idiots!
  • Pete:  I can use my expense account if I say they're whores.
 
Joan:

  • Joan:  I won't even tell people after it's aired. (about Harry's jai alai special)

Harry:

  • Harry:  I wish we really had a 2nd floor, so i could jump off it
 
 
All said and done, a good amount of solid quotes, especially from Roger and Pete.  But regarding the overall episode, I can't help but feel like I would have wanted to see more of what happened in the immediate aftermath of last season's finale, instead of jumping to a full year later, but creatively it's understandable to jump to a time after the new firm has been in existence and is struggling.  Joan was drastically underutilized, must like most of last season, but did have the one solid line above.  Also, I wasn't a huge fan of the Peggy stuff, or any of the Betty stuff (as usual regarding the Betty stuff).  But a solid start, and it will be interesting to see where they go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment