Friday, January 14, 2011

Death Penalty vs Life in Prison

If I were facing either life in prison or the death penalty, and they tried to offer me a deal to take the death penalty off the table, and I knew I did the crime and would likely be found guilty, I would laugh the prosecution out of the room.  In fact, I would only make a deal if I could choose the death penalty.  What kind of life would life in prison be?  Miserable, lonely, and rotten, and if anything, all of your loved ones/friends would feel even worse thinking about what you are going through...  If you're never getting out, why go through the trouble...  just end it and take the death penalty.  And then you might as well go out the easiest way possible- save the state some money while you're at it...  in fact, they should have serial killers on death row take care of killing the other people on death row...  in a way, they would be paying it forward (and they don't make movies out of bad ideas).  On psychopath who gets the death penalty gets to kill another.  Everybody wins (besides the families of the psychopath's original victims, but they lose no matter what, so it's a sunk cost).

I have similar feelings about people in pain dying a slow death.  They are better off being put out of their misery (at least if that is what they what- it shouldn't be forced upon them).  Unless there is an imminent cure coming, or at least some sort of clinical trial going on, where even if you die, you can at least help with the research, go ahead and end the pain.  Why go wasting the rest of your own, your family's, or the states money to unnecessarily prolong your life, which would only be filled with misery and pain?  Pull the plug... we all do it almost every day...

It's almost as bad as suicide being illegal...  I have the solution to that problem- anyone who attempts suicide but is unsuccessfull, and therefore breaking the law, gets arrested, and their punishment is the death penalty.  Everybody wins!!!

I wonder what GLG things of this?  Actually, I don't really care, but I figure he would enjoy another tag in a post...

No comments:

Post a Comment